Skip to global navigation Skip to content Skip to search Skip to sub navigation Skip to footer Skip to site map Accessibility Statment Access Key Legend
Duval County Courthouse > Family Court Services > Self Help > Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

What does "Pro Se" mean?

“Pro se” is another term for someone who does not have an attorney and is representing himself or herself in court. Since a pro se litigant acts as his or her own attorney, it is their responsibility to be aware of laws and legal rules before appearing in court. Please be aware that neither a Judge, General Magistrate, case manager, clerk nor any other court personnel is allowed to give you legal advice.

How long will it be before I hear from a case manager? 

You will generally hear from a case manager within 14 days of filing but it may take longer during periods of peak demand or staff shortages. At this time, you will be notified if there are any other documents which need to be filed in the form of a review letter.

How long does the process take and when will I have a hearing?

Average 4-6 months

​What is Service by Publication?

Click here for more information 

How do I complete the Affidavit of Diligent Search and Inquiry?

Click here for more information

What if I am moving while my case is pending?

If you move while your case is pending, you must file form number 12.915, the Designation of Current Mailing and E-Mail Address form with the clerk. This form can be found at www.flcourts.orgPlease keep in mind that calling in and telling the case manager you have moved is not sufficient. All mail will continue to be sent to the last official address on the court docket until such time as you officially change the address by filing the aforementioned form. Please do not rely on filing a change of address with the post office alone. Not keeping the court notified of an address change could affect the receipt of important court documents.

Why am I being required to take a parenting class?

Florida Statute §61.21(4) requires that all parties to a dissolution of marriage with children or a paternity action that involves issues of parental responsibility are required to complete a parenting course before a Final Judgment is entered. The Court may hold any parent who fails to complete the course in contempt and impose appropriate sanctions. The courses mandated by Administrative Order in the Fourth Judicial Circuit are “Children First in Divorce” given at Hope Have Children’s Clinic, "Separate Yet Together" given at First Coast Behavior Solutions, and "Great Kids through Great Co-Parenting" given at Jewish Family Community Services.

When you have your case number you may register for one of the following classes:


Hope Haven – ‘Children First’ Parent Education and Family Stabilization Course
ONLINE at or
IN PERSON at 4600 Beach Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32207

First Coast Behavior Solutions – ‘Separate Yet Together’ Parent Education and Family Stabilization Course
2317 Blanding Blvd Suite 102 Jacksonville, FL 32210
EMAIL or CALL 904-200-7979

Jewish Family & Community Services – ‘Great Kids through Great Co-Parenting’ Parent Education and Stabilization Course
8540 Baycenter Road Jacksonville, FL 32256
CALL 904-394-5865 or EMAIL

How can I cancel/reschedule mediation?

Your case manager will refer your case when it is ready to Alternative Dispute Resolution/Mediation. If you have a conflict with your mediation hearing you must contact their department at (904) 255-1120. 

I need an interpreter for the hearing - what should I do?

If you need a foreign language interpreter to fully participate in your hearing, it is your responsibility to bring a qualified interpreter as the Court does not provide a foreign language interpreter free of charge for family law cases.

If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the ADA Coordinator at or (904) 255-1695 at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.”
Video Player Window Exit Youtube Player
Access Key Legend
Most browsers support jumping to specific links by pressing access keys on your keyboard. On Windows, you can press ALT + Access Key (Chrome), ALT + Access Key + Enter (Internet Explorer) or ALT + Shift + Access Key (Firefox); on Macintosh, you can press Control + Option + Access Key (Safari, Firefox, and Chrome). All pages on this site use the following access keys:
Access Key 1 : Navigation
Access Key 2 : Page Content
Access Key 3 : Search
Access Key 4 : Sub Navigation
Access Key 5 : Footer
Access Key 6 : Site Map Access Key 7 : Accessibility Statment Access Key 8 : Access Key Legend Visitors using the JAWS screen reader 8 or above can navigate using the following keystrokes: H to cycle forward through the headings
Shift + H to cycle backwards through the headings
1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
Insert + F6 to provide a list of all headings
We are committed to meeting the guidelines set forth by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG2). All pages on use structured semantic markup. H1 tags are used for main titles, H2 tags for subtitles.
End Of Page