Skip to global navigation Skip to content Skip to search Skip to sub navigation Skip to footer Skip to site map Accessibility Statment Access Key Legend
Duval County Courthouse
Frequently Asked Questions

What is the filing fee for an injunction?

There is no filing fee

Do I need an attorney?
You have the right to hire an attorney to represent you, but it is not required

Can I file an injunction for protection if I did not report the violence to the police?
Yes. However, acts of violence should be reported to the Police Department

Can I file an injunction for protection on behalf of my child who is under eighteen years old?
Yes. Persons under 18 years old cannot file an injunction for protection without a parent or legal guardian present.

Can I request to have the final judgment modified, extended or dropped?
Yes. We have forms you may fill out.The motion to vacate, modify or extend will be forwarded to the Judge for a decision.

How do I notify the courts of my new address?
You may file a Notice of Current Address. You may find this form at the Florida States Courts website at ( or in the Domestic Violene Clerk of Courts office in room 2409.

What happens if I fail to appear in court?
The Judge has several options, which he may take, to include dismissal of the case or holding you in contempt of court.

Can I dismiss the injunction before the hearing?
No. You must appear before the Judge and ask for a dismissal.

How does the person I file against get notified of the hearing?
After the hearing has been set, we send copies to the Sheriff's Office for service on the Respondent.

How does the Sheriff serve the Respondent?
based upon information provided in your petition. Therefore, at a minimum you should include in your petition the respondent address, date of birth, and places the respondent may frequent.

What happens if the respondent violates the injunction?
You should immediately contact the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and file a report. Once you have received a copy of the Sheriff's report, you should contact the State Attorney's Office or call (904) 630-2400.
Video Player Window Exit Youtube Player
Access Key Legend
Most browsers support jumping to specific links by pressing access keys on your keyboard. On Windows, you can press ALT + Access Key (Chrome), ALT + Access Key + Enter (Internet Explorer) or ALT + Shift + Access Key (Firefox); on Macintosh, you can press Control + Option + Access Key (Safari, Firefox, and Chrome). All pages on this site use the following access keys:
Access Key 1 : Navigation
Access Key 2 : Page Content
Access Key 3 : Search
Access Key 4 : Sub Navigation
Access Key 5 : Footer
Access Key 6 : Site Map Access Key 7 : Accessibility Statment Access Key 8 : Access Key Legend Visitors using the JAWS screen reader 8 or above can navigate using the following keystrokes: H to cycle forward through the headings
Shift + H to cycle backwards through the headings
1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
Insert + F6 to provide a list of all headings
We are committed to meeting the guidelines set forth by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG2). All pages on use structured semantic markup. H1 tags are used for main titles, H2 tags for subtitles.
End Of Page